Now is the time where people start to reflect on the past year. You see all those retrospectives on tv, and all the crap 'these people died' montages online.
I guess I'm one of those who reflect as well. I think on all that happened this tail end of 2011 and my head reels. Finding a job, preparing to move, dancing and having fun. Getting a dog. So much stuff, good and bad has happened to me, and I guess now is the time I purge myself of what is not working and fix what I can.
With that said, I should let you all know that I'm going to surrender Taylor. I've had him for over a month now, and even when I had him the first week, I felt this was not a good fit. I tried because I don't like to give up, but I do acknowledge when something is not working. He's a different dog from my lifestyle and I'm a different owner from what he needs. He's a great dog, but he keeps 'toying' with the cat, and the cat comes first.
I can't figure out what he needs and I want him to have a happy life. He's not getting that with me. I know he will be adopted quickly. He's a great animal, so I'm not worried about his future.
Looking back on it, I think I rushed my choice. I really just wanted Georgia back. I still miss her. More so than having any dog. I guess I was not ready yet.
I also decided to purge myself of some toxic people in my life. You all remember that. It's been very cleansing, and still I have work to do on it. I guess I'm in a 'burn your bridges' state of mind. I'm sick of people dicking me over, it's my turn to cut them loose.
From there I look at this tough year and I see what I want to work on, what I want to do, and what I feel will fulfill me
- Get better at dancing. I'm loving dancing, and I feel I can become a student of it, so I want to put more hours into it as often as I can.
- Move from my apartment. This is in the works. I just need to find a place that suits me, and not settle for whatever I can get because I think that might be my only option. I have a habit of doing that in a lot of aspects in my life.
- Flush out my animation reel. I've been making animation connections as best I can, and even though I have this illustration job, animation is my first love.
- Put together a children's book portfolio. I've met quite a few people in the children's book illustration field over the last few weeks and I want to use that. I'm going to get back to my BFA and put together a new and more polished body of children's book work.
- Complete one of the novels I've been working on. Okay, I'm not a big writer really, but I do love a story. I've been working on and off of a fantasy story since I was sixteen. I want to finally finish it. If anyone would like to read it, I'll provide details later. I could use the feedback
- Get a car/license. I don't drive. I really have no desire to drive, but I should learn and get a moto.
That is my personal list of self improvement.
It's a lot to do, but I got so much done on last year's
list that I feel I can get this one done too.
Anyone else have a list of resolutions?