It's a good morning today, yay marriage!
But onto a much less important thing, repairing vintage clothes!
This Friday I have a very unique item. A 1890s tuxedo jacket with tails. This is more a commentary of the restoration work I did on the garment, as it really needed a lot of inside repair work.
The lining for the sleeves had been completely redone at some time, and now that work needed repair. Men sweat :)
A lot of popped seams. Most unreachable because of how the garment is constructed. It's almost like going back in and relaying the foundation of a house. So I did a lot of top stitching.
As someone had did before me.
Fabric covered buttons starting to show their age. I didn't do anything to them.
The boutonniere hole had been closed. I think I opened it :)
This was a shame. the front of the pocket got so worn that it tore.
Inset pockets are already delicate, so I can imagine all the decades of putting in and removing your handkerchief for your brow or a lady must have been taxing on that area.
Repairing something like that is kind of patchwork only. There is no real fabric to work with, so I did some top stitching. It looks totally better than this washed out picture.
Just a side note, look at that weave, beautiful!
I also sewed pretty much the entire lining, especially around the tails.
It left my hands wearable, but I can see it more as costume than an actual statement piece. It's past it's prime. If it were mine, I'd totally make a pattern of it. I'd love to see it's guts in more detail.
Okay lovely people.
Have a great weekend and happy sewing!