Today I basted!
I finally finished the other lapel, and was about to change threads!
No more skinny slick thread, bring on the cotton!
I used some white cotton I have to baste the jacket together. It went real quick. Up and under, up and under. I even basted in the sleeves!
That's something I never do. But I wanted a real good fit, and as anyone who knows me and sleeves, we don't have the best of relationships.
This one, I'm glad to say, went much better than normal. I added a bit more fullness to the sleeves than in the muslin, so I did have to blend a bit, but nothing so outrageous that it would have made me cry.
I left in the basting stitches for the caps of the shoulders.
This is one step I wouldn't have to do twice.
I put them both in and tried on the jacket for the first time!
I am real happy with the fit. So much so, that I only had to do some minor adjustments. I made the darts in the back waistline a bit deeper, I also adjusted the darts on the front bust to match those on the shoulder better. Once I got all of that done, it was time to begin my construction sewing.
Oh, man, I think I forgot how!
I used a dark navy for the construction thread. I thought that would blend enough.
My first stitch.
I also put on my zipper foot so I could get real close to the basting lines and see them.
My basic/ziz-zag foot I felt was a bit too in the way. This foot switch worked like a champ and I was able to control my stitched better. Went together fairly fast.
Once I sewed the front bust darts I cut the fold over open and down and finished the edges.
The book says to do that. I'm also going to lay a bias strip over the shoulder seam for a bit more stability to the tweed.
Right now the jacket is hanging a bit, but in a while I plan on ironing it and adding that shoulder tape.
Now I get to think on lining. Hmm...I'm going to have to see what I have in the stash. I'm thinking of some striped rayon I have, but I don't think I have enough for the jacket and sleeves, but I do have an old rayon slip that I may use for the sleeves. That could work.
In any case I'm moving right along. I do think I might get this done for Thursday evening!