My cluttered side space.
*Sigh*, I need to clean that. Patterns I've pulled out just because, new patterns I haven't checked yet, patterns I need to put away. My whole brain has been on slow this week.
But I need to get into gear. I'm planning on wearing my Gardenia Dress this weekend and I want to make sure I'm shapely underneath it.
You all know about my horrid venture into the void of ready to wear foundation garments. Yuck, ick, and ouch. And, I'm sure by now you know me. I constantly run the mantra in my head, "If I can't find what I like, I'll make it."
Its pretty self explanatory, really.
I drew a basic girdle from one that I liked the fit.
I also added an under bust section 6" high and 38" around, the measure of my bras. I gathered the supplied I wanted to give this thing a try, and began cutting out the pieces.
As you all know, I face everything, so I took some triple washed muslin and lined each piece of the girdle with it.
I'm using ticking for the girdle.
Its a sturdy and cool looking fabric, and Im sure with a slip over it, the lines won't show. I like my foundation garments ridged, but not corset like .I'm planning four narrow panels of elastic (from that long waisted cincher I have) to add the ease. I think that's the beauty of being the size I am. Im squishy, so I can shape myself up how I wish.
For the actual construction I'm forgoing flat felled seams this go around and using binding tape folded over both sides of the seam not only to add support, but also to act as the casing for the plastic boning I'm going to use. I'm mimicking the boning placement on the OBG I sketched the template from, and just running it up for the torso part. I measured the girdle to not necessarily stretch at the waist.
I'm planning on sewing the elastic in and seeing if that is giving me a firm enough hold. If not, I'm going to sew the waist in place with the binding tape.
Right now I've cut out all the pieces and their muslin linings. Im going to overlock them all today, add the elastic, and give it a test wear before I add the boning. At least that is the plan.
I'll keep you all posted!