I do so adore this Hollywood 1550. I've made it so many times. This one was a re-visit of the pattern after about an 18 month hiatus. Looking back at how I sized the pattern versus all I know now about dressmaking I've decided Im going to re-draft this pattern using my slopers for better fit.
Also, this one is a bit larger on me than I remember.
Originally I was not going to do the piping. This pattern calls for a contrasting yoke. I can't see it any other way, especially with a patterned print fabric. I chose the blue gray twill because I thought it would make the gray of the trim pop. Well, the more I got into it, the more piping I decided to use, until it culminated in my first ever attempt at piped button holes.
I marked the size.
I then cut the piping with about 1/2" excess on the sides. I basted them together giving enough space for when they are folded facing each other they won't overlap. Gave them a good seam pressing with the trim pressed outward. I then pinned them into place on the right side of the bodice.
I then notched the length of the marked button hole and stitched the lines with my zipper foot. I pivoted at the notch and completed the stitch.
Then I cut the button hole as you would any bound button hole and flipped it all inside.
Then hand stitched the excess down. Had I planned earlier, I would have covered the unsightly excess with the inside facing of the bodice but aw well.
I love the look and I'm going to use it more often.
As for the dress, everything came off fairly easily. I'm pretty happy with it.
Finished photos can be seen on NVL.