I love this pattern. I adore its sparseness, and Im a sucker for gathered necklines. Its a pattern that is only 8 pieces. I think thats cool. Its such the height of WWII efficiency combined with style.
I couldn't wait to get started on it.
I graded the pattern and cut it out in a great dark linen chambray. I got it by the pound from a giant fabric bin at one of my favorite fabric stores. Oh, how I love getting fabric that way. You can stumble on the most delightful treasures.
Its a heavier linen than the previous double breasted dress and I made the sleeve three quarter so it will wear well in the winter. I'm going to change up the front a bit, and use a slide fastener (zipper) down the front bodice.
I always like the look of those rare dresses from the early 40s that had zippers (pre rationing).
I also cut the band for the neckline on the bias (as seen here above the front band that will cover the zipper).
I think that will be better than the strange band shape that is provided with the pattern.
Once I overlock and prep the pieces, I'll knock this thing out in an afternoon.
I even have enough fabric left over to attempt this super cute beret topper,
I'm planning to wear it to a party this Sunday.