Nearly complete with the bib to the overalls.
I must say, I am liking the way it's looking.
I pieced the back parts to the front bodice and then tried the whole rough front on Onda.
She likes it.
I did a placement pinning of the back straps and marked them.
The next step was to finish the bib's edges.
Through the whole thing I used a denim thread for the top of the overalls and a thin Gutterman thread for the bobbin. My serger is being fickle with thick fabrics so I ran a ziz-zag stitch around the edges. After that I got out ye old trusty muslin and made some bias tape.
I'm cheap and didn't want to cut clean into the middle of a nice newly washed sheet of muslin so I pieced a lot of smaller scraps. More work, but make and mend and all.
Bias tape is never pretty and this denim really frayed something awful. I knew using the ziz-zag stitch was not going to be enough on this thick weave, and I knew that alone would not hold up to washings. I'm glad I treated the edges and used the tape. I don't think its redundant at all. I'm sure it would have looked better if I used a different color thread, but no one is going to see it but me, so I can live with it.
I then folded under the top of the bias tape and plan to do two rows of top stitching on to complete the look.
I also plan on doing two 'X's to hold the back of the shoulder straps in place.
Once I do all that I'll pick out buttons! Yay buttons!
More to come!