Today I added the sleeves and buttons.
Im loving this pattern.
I also had a time with finishing the collar. Not that it was difficult, but rather I wanted it to lay as well as it could (mission accomplished).
First I sewed the front to the edge of the top of the shoulder seam. Then the facing piece (which is the part of the collar that is flipped and exposed, I sewed that to the very end of its front piece. Earlier (yesterday) I didn't do this because I was not sure how this part would end up once I added the back facing.
I notched away some of the bulk on that corner and today I added the back facing.
It was quite uneventful, and all I had to do was tuck the end of the facing under and hand stitch it closed.
And I got to pick out buttons.
Oh, wondrous, wondrous buttons! I went with orange to pop the orange in the flower pattern.
I haven't hemmed it yet, I need to make shoulder pads first. I also need to make a belt, and i generally do this all at the same time, but I didn't this time because I wanted to start on another dress right away.
Truth be told, it all lead up to this moment. I have been wanting to make a dress using this vintage fabric for months. MONTHS. I waited and waited for the right pattern.
I had to find a nice cotton to go with it which was not an easy or short venture.
I had to test the pattern and get the fit right.
And now its almost finished. This is so going to be my new favorite dress. This pattern is itching to be my new favorite day dress pattern. I love the fit!
Everything should be complete by Friday. Im drawing tomorrow. I alternated my drawing/sewing days today.