First off some more finished projects.
I completed the brown seersucker dress and the vintage cotton print version, both from my WWII pattern. Detailed pictures are on NVL. I do believe the flower print one is my favorite. I really like the pocket detail. I think its pretty cool.
Next I cut the brown eyelet for the 40s sport dress.
To anyone out there thinking of getting this repro, a tip on cutting the fabric. The skirt has monster flair (RAD!!!) so you will have to cut each piece individually, not with folded fabric. Well, you *could* fold the fabric, it just that layout would use like 2 more yards than you might want to buy. Just sayin'.
I did my alterations on the pattern, and using my notes from the mock up, began construction. I put the work in progress on Onda and noticed the extra room beneath the arms.
Im thinking, "Okay, Onda is smaller than me." I've been thinking that for a while. Even though, what's that stuff, oh! FACTS say we are the same measurements, I cant get over it. I keep thinking Im larger than her, so instead of me paying attention to the extra fabric, I just leave it thinking Ill fill it out. Um....no.
Its not devastating, and frankly, for a 'sport dress' Im sure I can totally get away with it for 'arm reach', yeah! Yeah! Thats what Ill say.
Im still playing with the back. I lowered it another two inches and it looks cool. I completed all the machine sewing early yesterday, and now I just have to tack the hem and the neck line facing (everyone repeat, "I face everything!"). I also need to whip up a belt from the scraps, and I get to pick out buttons for the back! I made the button holes functional, even though I sewed the casing closed. I just loves functional button holes. I'm sad, I know.
I think, after this one, I am going to look into making a linen one, and if I cant find the linen in a golden yellow, Im going to dye it. I was thinking of an online friend of mine who dyes a lot of stuff she makes, and Im thinking it may try a dye job on a finished garment. I have three cones of 100% cotton thread (white) so I can overlock the linen as well. Oh fun! Its all Ive been thinking about.
Another project Ive been working on is the 20s dress. I fixed the side pleats and added the pockets today.
Im completing the neckline, and it needs a belt.
I also pinned the pieces of my apron as well. All together now, "I face everything."
I backed the apron with an old sheet for stability more than anything. Im planning on overlocking the pieces this afternoon, and maybe knocking the apron out. I guess this is where I wish I had a rolled hem foot for my machine...