One of my readers/etsy customers commissioned me for a dress. The event she wanted to wear it to was a WWII even in her town. She was frustrated with the lack of items in her size, and wanted a nice respectful period dress.
I was the person to call.
First off, I had this lovely lady take some measurements for me. Everything from the width of her neck, to the length of her back. Then, I made a mock up and mailed it to her. From there, once I knew it fit well, I made the final.
She left the fabric up to me, but had a guideline of navy with white dots, preferably cotton. I was all about it and picked up this calico like cotton that I felt would be feminine and classic.
As I got into making the dress, I just HAD to add ric-rack on the pockets. The pockets on this dress were quite interesting. They join and make front belt loops, and I had to work with that!
The breast pocket is from two pieces sewn up the middle. That allows for rid-rack abundance.
The dress was a simple shirtwaist, and I have tons of experience with those. I did underestimate the fabric, but she was very understanding about that. The dress got to her in time.
I had a lot of fun doing this dress and I'm glad it was a hit at her event. She said she got a lot of compliments on it :)