Monday, May 7, 2012

Royalchrome Restoration pt 4

I blew off a night out to work on these! I couldn't stop thinking about them! Then I completed my first one, and I saw this project was indeed possible!

I love sewing, and since this is a totally new challenge for me, I was so focused on it all day and night Friday, that I sewed up 20 yards of piping!

The measuring is what I had to really focus on. I tend to flub a lot of stuff, but there is really no room for that with something that needs to be so precise. I bought 8 30" zippers for the bottom sides of the cushions so I could unzip them and launder them with ease.

A 6" piece of fabric halved.

Folded them like a sandwich and
sewed with 1/2" seam allowance.

After that I stitched in the zipper and the placket was complete! Then it was on to piping. Each cushion requires about 160" worth of piping. I managed to make about 20 yards over the weekend and it's already been allotted to three cushions. 

I bought 30 more yards and once it gets here I can start on the seat piping. I'm getting a tad concerned because I hope I don't run out of this fabric. I mean, the cushions are already cut out, so that's not the concern, it's just I was hoping to make a couple throw pillows and maybe even cover another smaller chair with the scraps. Can't believe 8 yards of this stuff went so quickly! Damn piping, its a fabric suck.

Thick piping gets folded under on the bottom center
zipper placket.
Going a round one of the cushion's corners.
Once I had all the components together, I started construction. I did keep the rounded corners and was glad. That allowed for good snug fit, even with the darcon wrapping of the cushions.

Here is a piece of piping I cut too short.
3" I added near the bottom with just folded
over fabric. It's a good hide.

Once the cushion was complete, I wrapped the foam in sort of a pillow case not only to protect it, but to allow it to slide in the cover easier. After a five minute tug fest, I have my zipped up cushions all ready!

Now only six more to go. Whew! A couple of prep things I did was I basted the piping to the fabric. Normally I don't do that but the fabric I'm using is so super thick that I just didn't want to worry about it moving. 

I also taped off my seam allowance on the marker place on my sewing machine. I had to make sure I was keeping my SA so I didn't have any problems with fit.

I also sewed the fabric twice around. This is to make sure the tautness of the fabric does not pop a seam. Just a bit of extra goes a long way.

I'll be working on these for a while until I finish. I'm still thinking about what I'm going to do on the clothes front, too. Haven't decided. We will see.

Okay everyone, if you have any questions about the process, please, let me know.
Have a great Monday!!


Aubrey Silver said...

These look awesome!

Peter Lappin said...

I am so impressed with your commitment to this project, Shelley and the professional results. Can't wait to see them all finished!

MistressCatgirl said...

That is impressive work. I don't think I have the patience for it. The fabric you picked is great. Can't wait to see what the finish product looks like.

Nettie said...

That is some SERIOUSLY precise sewing!!! I can't believe how awesome it looks!! Now I feel like a boob for throwing out my old couch cushions. They would have made excellent floor cushions.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails