How is everyone doing on their Make and Mend projects? I've got some updates coming in the next few days, but for the time being, I'm working on my knot dress because if it turns out well I plan on wearing it to an even this weekend.
I overlocked the blue fabric last week but the pieces had been sitting in a pile since then. Mainly because this dress seems to require constant measuring, checking of length, evenness and so on because of the slinky fabric. The thing is, the front is cut on the bias, AND this dress would not drape as I believe it was intended in a stiff cotton or linen, so all the constant checking is just a fact of it's design. *sigh*
First off, the pattern says to trim the folding front with a ribbon for stability so it won't stretch. Luck had it that I had enough navy grosgrain! I decided that because the fabric was so sheer, I was going to sandwich the ribbon between the inside of the fold and the serged edge so there was no risk of the serged edge showing through.
I stitched the top of the ribbon to the top of the fold, then turned the ribbon over and top stitched it to the serged edge, then turned the whole edge right side in.
Because this is my first time making this dress, I was unsure how to treat the edges. The instructions don't give the best clear way, especially the parts that are gathered in the loop at the collarbone. And you know my loathing of unfinished edges. I decided to topstitch the looped area (I know, no hand stitching? But this is a first draft after all.), and top stitch the sides.
Duh me, I top stitched the sleeve opening! No biggie, I still have enough seam allowance so I think I'll be fine. With a little finagling of the front I finally put it on Onda to tweak the fit. From here I basted the front fold, and presto, I have a bodice.
Because the skirt is raised in the front, I double checked the width of the center front skirt gore. It is supposed to lay right between the center bust seams, and I HATE it when I grade a pattern and don't pay attention to those types of match ups. Just like in the back of a dress, when the back gathers (if there are some) on the bodice don't match up to the back seams of the gores of the skirt. NO! Good thing for me, the front matched pretty well. The back on the other hand, I had to redo the tucks three times, both sides. Me and that not measuring. Turns out I marked the center of the back of the bodice two inches to the left. Threw the tucks completely off.
Once that mess was over with, I added the tie on the neck and pressed accordingly. This fabric has a cool crinkle in it and also a lovely sheen on its right side. I think it will look great once it's finished. Right now both the back and front are hanging, and I'm going to attach them later today.
The style of this dress is a bit outside my comfort zone so I hope it looks good on me. Well, we shall see tomorrow after I add the sleeves and put in the zipper.
Have a great day all!
the colour of the fabric and shape of the bodice are lovely - but it all sounds waay to complicated for me! I hope you get it done in time for the Swing Night - sounds like lots of fun!ReplyDelete
The bodice looks amazing, of course. I forgot the adjust a skirt to my adjustments in a bodice for a dress and it came out...interestingly! The side seam was hidden in a pleat about two inches from my bellybutton.ReplyDelete